Wednesday, July 02, 2008

on being slack

It's kind of settled in a little since I finished the latest novel. On the writing front anyways - I've instigated a TV ban for Ivy and have been working my ass off at making sure she's fully entertained and occupied away from that devil box. I mean, I like TV, I enjoy it, I wish she could enjoy it without getting obsessed about it, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Her behaviour in the last two days has been SO much better than it would be if she was watching even an hour of TV. So while it's more work for me, for now, it's better in general because I don't have to loathe the way my little girl is behaving.... I hate feeling like that, but the whining, the tantrums, the over the top tears and the agression that surround the TV are just things I can't live with.
We'll see what it's like in a couple weeks, I am fearful that her early exposure to endless hours of TV (prior to her living with us, for the first year of her life) means that it's like a security blanket for her, one which she finds it hard to detach from. So we'll see. But I can't let it slide now, I won't be a parent who is ruled by TV or their child's behaviour.
I want the best for her, and TV does not bring that out.
So, on the writing front I do have some goals for today: I want to finish the section I'm doing on my business course (I have to write the plan), I want to go through and make a list of short stories and poems that I can submit places and find some places to submit for the rejection collection challenge, and get that darn outline down on paper ;-) I think that's probably more than enough to keep me going for today, being that none of this will get looked at or done until after 12 when Ivy goes to preschool.
In the meantime I have a headache I should really attempt to deal with or I'll end up getting nothing done at all today!

No comments: