Monday, May 26, 2008

Live! From the new house

We are in!!! It was a long week, but we're finally in and for the most part unpacked, and barring a few mishaps along the way (such as a runaway kitty who has since come home again) it all went a lot smoother than I had imagined it would.
There were no emotional breakdowns on my part, no frayed tempers, no arguments, and Ivy was the most wonderful girl on moving day, she did so well! I am so proud of how well she handled it all. And we love the new house (Well, I am free to love it now that my Mojo boy is back, until he came home it seemed like too big a cost to have to pay to be here). We're not nearly as cramped as we thought we'd be, we're all a lot warmer despite the fact we've not even lit the fire or used a heater since we got here. So I expect us to be healthier here than we ever were at the old house, sickness will be easier to keep at bay.
I'm looking forward to this afternoon when it's just me in the house, well, and the animals too. I'm going to move some things around, put some paintings up, and just chill out, maybe sort out the spare room a little more though I can't shift my desk in here by myself. I cannot wait to have that space organised!! My own little corner of the house, the place where my laptop will dwell and my writing will be done (for the most part).
Speaking of writing: despite this cold and my achey body, I feel motivated. There are several challenges coming up and one on right now which I have committed myself to giving my best shot at. So let's take a look at those.

Currently the SoCNoC 7 Day Prep Challenge is underway. I have yet to start, and have absolutely no idea what I will end up writing, but I thought I'd take it anyways and see where it led me - there are several partial ideas, snippets of images and potential characters lurking around in my mind so we'll see where it takes me.

Following on from this, naturally, is SoCNoC itself!! WOOHOOO!!! This will be the second annual occurrance of this event and I am looking forward to it - despite not knowing what I'll end up writing. I loved the community support and fun that we had last year on the site and through the chat room, and found that word wars are my friend, and even writing down ten words at a time is better than writing nothing at all. Last year I reworked a very old story I had written as a 13 year old and lost somewhere along the way, the story grew phenomenally and is onto it's second book now and so far removed from the original - very exciting. I have another story I could do the same with, and that would be interesting, but at the same time I wanted to veer away from fantasy for this novel and see what else I can do. We'll see, we shall. Not long now til it all kicks off!!! Go Team Kiwi!!

And finally, something to line up for after SoCNoC is the Rejection Collecting Challenge. Now, I haven't submitted many things, and like most people am not fond of the idea of rejection, but looking at this challenge makes me want it. lol strange hey? But it's about getting your work out there, getting the guts up to just submit and stop worrying about everything. I'm going to have to work on getting enough stuff together to submit, but that's part of the fun of the challenge. I don't have 25 stories/poems I could send in anywhere, so I guess I'll have to go hard earlier on in the challenge and hope to get some rejections in early so that I can resubmit some of the same stories to different places. This motivates me to get sorted, get working on sending my stuff out and seeing where things go, so thank you pterodaustrodreams for posting the challenge.

No comments: