Friday, May 02, 2008

Work of the sleep deprived

Amazingly, I got stuff done today. *feels good about self*
Not housework, no, not any cleaning or packing. I finished the read through of my novella and made some small edits, and decided not to change the things I am thinking about changing until I get some feedback on it. It felt so good to have that done. I mean, the changes were minor, but I actually felt like I was assessing it in the right way - which is hard, 'cause I just plain enjoy the story, and when you enjoy something so much it can be really difficult to detach from it enough to get to the core of what needs changing around. Hence the decision to hold off on changes until I get an outside point of view. Lol how amusing it will be if no one else enjoys the story - hey, it really doesn't matter if they don't in some ways, the fact that I like it counts for a lot in my world right now.

And then I tried to sleep, which didn't work. Because someone seemed to be reversing a truck for a half hour and yelling out directions next door, and my feet were too cold and then by the time I realized I should just put socks on to solve that I had given up on the idea of actually getting to sleep. It's an idea which has been occurring a fair bit lately. The number of solid hours of sleep I am getting is diminishing and I almost fear sleeping during the day in case it means that I once again can't sleep at night - so far, that doesn't really seem to have been a problem but I'm wary of falling into a nasty new sleep cycle.
I think last night I got about 4 hours max, broken sleep. When you go to bed tired at 10pm and then get up just before midnight to do something (for the life of me, I don't remember why I got out of bed, oh right, the cat was meowing) and then finally manage to fall asleep you know there is something going on. At least last night it wasn't just me, Simon had a rough night too.
I've been drifting in and out, lying awake for hours at a time, but with no real desire to get up and do something to fill the time in because surely, one of these minutes, the tiredness is going to overtake whatever it is keeping me awake and I'm going to pass out, right? Not necessarily! At least I managed to function this morning for a short space of time before regaining zombiehood.

Oh, and my glad news of the day is that I think I might be able to go to Phantom of the Opera when it comes to Auckland in October. Lovely husband has decided he doesn't mind the idea of me swanning off to the opera in another city a month before bubs is meant to arrive and hell, it's been 12 years since the show was in NZ, I might not get another opportunity for awhile! I love the Phantom, I am aching to see it on stage in the flesh, so we will see how things go. I'm hopeful, friends and family members think that it won't be too hard to sit through even at 8months pregnant and hell, I'd willingly suffer to see it, I really would.

No comments: