Friday, December 07, 2007

another week gone

It really is not a good time of the year for getting things done is it?
I mean, in some areas progress is being made. The house is cleaner, things are being thrown away and cleared out and thats wonderful. The Christmas presents are well on their way to being completed, fantastic. And my child is so happy and delighted by the fact that I can spend seemingly endless amounts of time playing the games which she wants me to play, taking her to the park, or the zoo, or to visit friends, singing a million rounds of old MacDonald had a farm or her recent fav jingle bells, which is so great, I love that she is happy and thriving and loving all the attention that she is getting. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of time to do the things I want to be doing. Like reading, and writing.
I have this funny feeling that not only am I going to fail Nanowrimo this year, but I am also going to fail Nanofimo, lol the year will end and part two will not be complete.
I've just come to realize that the time at which I am most productive, is this one right here...this little space between when I shut everything else down and when I fall asleep. I take my laptop to bed with me on the nights when Simon doesn't go to bed before me. These nights I write furiously until the battery dies (which at the moment is only about 30 minutes if I am lucky/have just turned the darned thing on before I came to bed). It's not a very big window of opportunity, it doesn't leave a lot of time to get my writing done. Could I perhaps bring the power cord with me and take myself to bed sooner? Possibly, maybe I'll try that tomorrow when Simon is out at the LAN party. Are there other times during the day at which I can write in my room that will also be productive??
I think I'll have to run a series of experiments in order to see what exactly makes this work for me, so that I can then expand on that and give myself more optimal writing time.
I love my desk, it's fully set up for writing now, but it just doesn't seem to be working. I think possibly because I sat there for the entire year studying and so thats what my brain is trying to do when I sit there, it's in that frame of mind. Perhaps its the perfect place to do research, a wonderful place to edit and rewrite no doubt, but it doesn't seem to be the place where first drafts are born.....
Maybe if I turned it around, moved it somehow...
Any ideas?

1 comment:

Andrew Chilton said...

I find the same, I was very productive during NaNo when I took the laptop (inc. power cord) and wrote while sitting up in bed. I think it's a good part of the day to do it - quiet and you just stop when you're tired.