Thursday, January 17, 2008

ahead of schedule - oh my!

How did that happen?? lol that almost never happens....
I managed to get through the entire novel yesterday making notes. I realized when I was about 12 pages in that I was going too deep, and actually trying to edit as I went and it was taking way too long and was really quite tiring.
So I stopped that and just went through checking consistency/fact/other things like that and adding comments when things weren't quite right or where I needed to add scenes.
It turns out my whole novel takes place over 3 weeks - 2 of which are pretty much summed up in a short space of time, brushed over so that the action can kick in again.
After 3 days my character is in love? I mean, yeah thats a book thing right, and they do have this intense situation and intense feelings, but I think I am gonna have to add a few days in there, develop the characters more, develop their relationship more.... which is good cause I need more words, lots of the characters need a little more development and thats cool, I don't find that hard to do anyways. At least now I know where I stand.
I hadn't planned any actual work for today (in fact, had thought I might need it to catch up on what I didn't think I was going to get through today...) but I think I'll sort the chapters out while little one has her nap this afternoon, and then get into actual editing/rewriting tomorrow!
Fingers crossed it's not as painful as people make it out to be....

I know I have already said that I don't think it's going to be done before the wedding - I can hope that it will be though. Would be nice to have that done so that afterwards I can work on where to submit it etc, and then move onto finishing the first draft of the WIP. My days are already filling up with appointments though, there are three afternoons without Ivy and thats really the easiest time to go meet with various places about various things, but it does cut into my work time.
I refer to writing/editing as work now... how weird is that? lol fun work, but work nonetheless! I am not sure how that transition was made but it means I am a lot more dedicated and I can apply my very good work ethics to the practice of writing.
Anyways... better go and play some or I'll get told off!

No comments: