Wednesday, January 02, 2008

New things.

It's a new year, why not do new things right?
I started my New Year Novella, and man, it is really going well. I am actually quite surprised. Almost stunned, but not quite.... I'm writing it in 1st person, as opposed to my regular 3rd person, and it's a nice change, I almost feel as if I can write faster this way, and I do not yet feel limited by it. I think it's going to be an interesting experience, and I think I will actually manage to get the story finished not too far after the 20K mark either which will be a nice little achievement in itself. I wanted to write an actual Novella, not an abbreviated novel or an over extended short story and fingers crossed, I might actually pull it off!
Also, I am applying for a couple jobs.... it was only going to be one, but I kind of thought if I make it two, then I won't feel so nervous about the one I actually want - well, thats the theory. So I have spent the morning working on my CV and now I have to find three referees and write cover letters - all going well I will have that sorted today and I can get the applications in. Once it's in the post I can't take it back, so I need to get to that point as soon as possible.
It might not be so scary other than the fact that I have not worked in two years, I've been studying and being a mother and those have been really important things for me. Having now finished my degree, I still want to focus on the mum thing, and I want to focus on my writing, so I am really looking for a part time job that fits in with me, not one that I need to fit in with. Yeah I know, picky right? We'll just have to see what happens. It's near impossible to get more hours at daycare at the moment in this town, so I will just have to cross my fingers and hope that wherever I actually have a chance will have ours that fit. And I am counting on our flatmate to help out with looking after the little one if it doesn't quite fit... See, when i talk about it like this I feel like it's impossible to find something that will work, but I am going to apply anyways. It's a big new year and I am going to be brave.
The other new thing I did was sign up over at the Nerdfighters ning. I haven't joined a ning before, and while I have been watching Brotherhood 2.0 for... well, most of the year now, I never really participated in the forums or anything else, though I did take part in the Project for Awesome last month which was a hell of a lot of fun. It's time to take part and take action. Like I said, it's a big new year, and I am going to work on being an improved me, an all of me, all the time.
Anyways, wish me luck on the job front ;-) I will keep ya posted!
*nervously goes back to writing cover letters.... and wishes she could instead be writing her novella.*

1 comment:

Andrew Chilton said...

Good luck! It sounds like you have lots of plans for this year - hope it all goes well and yes, keep us posted :-)