Thursday, April 24, 2008

On to new things.

So, yesterday, the big unpleasant task I had to do, turned out not to be so bad after all. Well, the act of it was, but the outcome - much more positive than I could ever have imagined.
I had to tell our flatmate that he can't move with us when we shift into the new house. Now, Damian has been flatting with me for the last four years, Simon has lived here for the last two. Four years is a really long time, but it is finally time for Simon, Ivy, and I to just be a family. I'm not even going to mention the many other reasons why we've made this decision, but it's all for the better, it'll mean my life is a lot less stress, that there is one less person I am picking up after and finally I might be able to stop feeling like a mother to this young man.
Initially he took it really badly. I told him just as we pulled up to the place where he sees his psychologist - my reasoning for leaving it until then was that I hoped his psych could help him to come to terms with the information and deal with it in a better manner. He walked off down the street, I followed and tried to convince him to go to his appointment, but when I left I wasn't sure he was going to, wasn't even sure if he'd contact me to get picked up let alone come home at all that evening. Thankfully he did! By the time I picked him up he was actually feeling ok about things. He understands why, and agrees that it's the right time for a change. No hate, no loathing, no self pity - I was impressed, not at all the response that I had forseen.
So it seems everything is going to be ok. And I am finally working through the reality that we are actually going to be just a family. It'll be really weird, but pretty wonderful I am hoping. I'm looking forward to not sharing the space with someone else, to being truly alone when little one is at daycare, to knowing that the place is just ours, all the mess and the noise and the moods, all just ours.
So, just over 5 weeks time, and we'll be in our new place. Just us. And just under 5 months after that our new addition will be arriving. Wow, our lives are really in for some major changes this year!

No comments: