Sunday, September 09, 2007

I had a dream

And in that dream, I was writing essays...in fact, I am pretty sure that when I awoke it was with some academic statement about childhood sexual abuse.
I spent 3 hours last night sitting on the floor, printing out article upon article, research study upon research study.
The upshot is that I now have pretty much all the information that is required for all of my upcoming assignments, the downside is that the particular assignment I was researching for last night is the one thats due in last, and it pushed all the information out of my head about the assignment which I am meant to be writing right now, as I sit here writing this.
I have started, I have 54 words, lets not think about the fact that I still need another 2446 *hopes she did her math right*.
I sometimes think that the same approach I have with my creative writing is applicable to my academic writing.
There is this preparation period where I gather information/ideas, I read, I make notes, I think, I dwell, but I don't do any actual writing. I sit on all of these things, sometimes I don't even spend a lot of time thinking about them consciously, but I know that it's all fermenting, all the ingredients have been placed in my brain its just a matter of giving it the right amount of time to brew.
And then will come the time when I am actually ready to sit down and get started. This generally works best when it is a time I have chosen for myself, when I can honestly say 'I am ready' - this is no longer an option though when it comes to this semesters assignments. I can only hope that enough fermenting has gone on that the end product will be passable.
On the other hand with my creative writing, usually the imposed start time is a far off distant point, and I would probably feel ready to sit down and start writing well before the event comes around, I actually think by making me wait longer to begin in these cases I end up producing better work. More ideas spring up, more details and I have a better idea of where I am going when I finally get that sweet release and am able to release the story thats been captive in my mind for so long.
If only assignments were spread far enough apart to allow for proper brain fermenting. Ah well, I can only do what I can do, and I had better go and get to it.

Kiwiwriters staff meeting this afternoon, am really looking forward to it! Fiance suggested I skip it in order to get more quality essay writing time because little one is at her nana's but no, not a chance!!! lol

2 comments:

Andrew Chilton said...

And we're glad you joined us too. All in all, it was a successful meeting I think :-)

Kerryn Angell said...

Yes! Thanks for joining us. I hope your essay writing has picked back up again.