Friday, June 27, 2008

Day 26: 'The End'?

I wrote the words, though I am not sure I mean them just yet - time will tell. It feels like it's missing something though I honestly can't say what I think that might be. Chances are high it's fine as it is and the residual issues I am having with it are things that need to be fixed in the story over all rather than just the ending, and right now I'm not even going to think about going back and fixing it all up, it's done, it needs to sit, get out of my head.
All up it didn't come out anything like I had hoped - which isn't to say I don't like it, because I do. But I'd hoped to write something funny, at least in parts, funny by my standards, not by everyone else's. It didn't happen, not in any sense of the word, unless it's to point and laugh at some of the terrible sentences I have no doubt used.
There were bits in the book that I totally adore, characters which I thoroughly enjoyed and who didn't really get enough development pre writing. I think that's the thing when you are the explorer type writer - by the time you get to the end of the book you really know your characters, which can mean that who they seemed to be at the start of the book isn't always quite right. You might think you know them, but you discover more about them, they round out over the course of the story and so you need to rework things to make them the same person throughout, even though they might have things happen to them which change them in some way.
Sadly I don't think I can write any other way, lol there is always going to be the need for me to go back and rewrite character stuff, unless of course it's a sequel cause by then I know the main players well enough to know how they would react to anything.

Anyways, enough thinking about that. I need to kick the story out of my mind so I'll be critiquing a piece of writing Chibi sent me in the next couple of days and giving myself some space to get back into editing mode - exciting stuff, the stuff that feels like real work, lol at least it did last time. I am excited and nervous to get back into it, a little fearful that I'll stuff things up along the way in the novel, but sometimes you just have to make a change and see how it pans out, sometimes you can't tell before hand whether it's the right change or not.
I think I'll rewrite the beginning of the novel (the one that's in edits) anyways, and I can always add that to my word count for the month to push it over that 60K threshold (I'm only 155 words shy of it, but I am not the kind of person who will just write an extra 155 words on a novel I am considering done just to hit a number goal).

Scan day today!! Baby best keep its legs uncrossed because there are about 25 people waiting to hear whether its a boy or a girl, not to mention me who is just hanging out to know.

No comments: