Friday, June 13, 2008

Long nights

As I lay in bed between 2am and 5am, drifting fitfully in and out of sleep, aware of the sharp pain down my left leg, the ache in my lower back, the sting in my throat, my inability to find a position to lie in which catered for all of these things and that fact that the 'Doodlebops' theme song music was still playing in my head - I pondered on the point of staying in bed at all.
When the cat came into the house at 3.30am and mewed her way loudly to my side while I frantically clicked my fingers at her so she might be quiet (because she'd located me and was happily smooching my hand) and not wake Simon I almost did give up. Of course, somewhere between 5 and 530 I fell asleep, so soundly that I didn't even hear Simon's alarm go off at 540. Thankfully, I even managed to mostly sleep through his work preparations and departure to be woken again by the cat at 7am because he'd shut our bedroom door tight and she couldn't get out.
Now, to get one thing clear - I am not a Doodlebops fan, Ivy is, and I think I saw it just the one time yesterday but still, for some reason, their very catchy theme song got stuck firmly in place. It's still there now.... (oh and the doodlebops are a kids show, lots of music and dancing and problem solving in case you have the pleasure of not knowing).
This morning though, I feel shattered. My back is still aching, my throat has stepped things up a notch and I may be heading for full blown sickness, though that also might just be due to the general feeling of crap you get when you simply haven't had enough sleep - I guess we'll figure that out as the day goes by.
And where does all of this lead to? It leads to me feeling completely unsure about whether I can complete that massive 7.5K writing challenge today. To feeling a little like I am incapable of writing anything much at all.
Oh well, it's still early. I can reassess when I am sans child post 9pm.

2 weeks now til I get to see baby again.

No comments: