Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Day 9: almost halfway

I hit 22500 this evening, well, just above. Though most of the writing for that was done early today, I just felt like I needed that last 500 words, 45% complete looks a whole lot better than 44% for some reason. It amazes me that I am almost halfway on day 9, and that's despite having had a couple of writing free days. I don't think my story is halfway though, and that makes for a nice change - then again, there is a chance I say that every time and then still wind the story up by around 52K total. It's like there is a switch in my brain that says 'hey boys, we have to wrap this one up, that 50K mark is coming on and even though we might have some days to spare and keep writing with we still need it done'.
As a consequence of this, the first half of each novel I have written is well paced, well developed, and the second half generally needs some work. I am attempting to change this pattern this month. I'd like to write a longer story, and have to add less details and development in after it's 'finished', and yet I would still like to have this draft ticked off as 'complete' during this month.
I think I can do it, and I'll be trying my hardest. I think I just have to forget about attaining that specific word count goal, and just work on trying to get the story down this month, no matter how many words that takes.
We'll see how it goes.

Am feeling quite tired this morning so am not too sure how much I will end up writing, I guess it will depend on who is around in the chat room and whether they feel like writing as well! lol it's not dependant on other people, but it sure helps if someone else is there spurring you along. I really must try and word war by myself and see if it works nearly as well for me as warring with others.

2 comments:

Marie said...

I think multiples of 5 always look more impressive, for some reason. More rounded. Congrats, anyway! Almost halfway there in less than half a month!

J.C. Hart said...

thank you :-) and you are so right, numbers than end in 5's or 0's are the way to go for me, just makes me feel that much more accomplished! lol so weird.